Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Autumn has arrived...for Real!

The leaves have changed to vivid colors yellow, red, and orange and trees are reluctantly letting go of more as each day passes. The crunch of leaves and the smell of spiced cider, pumkin pie and turkey can be identified as a shiver runs down your spine. California has welcomed fall with its rainy days and chilly evenings, with open arms. Thanksgiving is only 2 days away and my taste buds can hardly wait for my daddy's ham, Ayla's mashed potatoes, Tamsen's cookies, and my momma's yams! Let's not forget Angel's crash course Xbox football she recieves from her brothers each year. (I still haven't gotten the hang of it) But in the midst of the aroma and hustle of the holiday remember just why we are celebrating.
It's that time of year when I get all sentimental and emotional just because it almost Christmas. But this year is different, so much has changed for me this year and my future will never be the same. No longer am I thankful just because I have stuff, I am truly thankful beyond words.

This year I took a huge leap into adulthood and moved from my parents home. No longer am I reluctantly going to bed as my siblings carry on in the living room, I am missing family prayer nights and fighting over laundy day with momma, fussing over how sissy borrowed my favorite shirt without asking, how frustrating it is to pick up brothers boxers they left in the bathroom again, or the joy of kissing daddy on my way out the door. This Thanksgiving I will spend with my family as always, but I will greet the day with a truly thankful heart. Beyond the everyday thankfulness, but with a sincere appreciation for life, family, love, and friends. So often we take for granted simple things in life. The thought I could have lost my brother last month halted me in my new routine with the thought, "Life is short and requires your attention."
I am truly thankful for a God who is forever faithful and so true. His love amazes me each and everyday. Thank you for blessing me beyond what I could ever ask or think.

Oh, yes and thank you Jesus for deep fried cajun turkey, Thanksgiving just wouldn't be the same. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to take a moment and wish you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving. We often forget to take time and appreciate the many positive things we have in our lives, and I hope you'll remember those things and those people that help fill your life with goodness....and celebrate them on the holiday. I am grateful for all the heart you bring to work on behalf of our customers and want to thank you for that.

Be safe.
SL

Stephen Lynch
President of Health Net Inc, Regional Health Plans

Courtney Leigh James :) said...

Awww!!!! :)