Friday, December 21, 2007

So this is Christmas.....


And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.~Dr. Seuss *


Christmas is quickly approaching and the shopping malls are screaming with mothers, fathers, and procrastinating gift givers. This year there has been an unusual excitement regarding the holidays, yet an odd feeling has been lingering in my mind day in and day out. I have been shopping since October for the perfect gifts for everyone on my list. The problem has been, "What is the perfect gift that will be socially acceptable yet useful, and not thrown out by Valentine's?" Though my packages are all wrapped and long since sent out, the giving feeling still exists, but what kind of gift would be meaning full. Sunday night was answer to my question. I learned I was not the only one with this unsettled feeling of useless gifts, Bro Ben Vandiver as of December 16th still had not purchased any gifts for his family, but instead was impressed by the overwhelming need in Ugaunda. There are over 6000 orphanages ran by Bishop John and they are in desperate need of supporters. It takes $150 to feed an entire orphange for one month, housing over 150 children, mothers, and widows. Bro Ben sat down with Sis Young and calculated the estimated amount that it would take to feed, clothe, educate and provide shelter for a child for one year. I was sickened by the total...$30 a YEAR per child is all it takes. $30 dollars feeds our appetites in one fine setting, it's 5 happy meals...Tears were useless, I was sickened. So this Christmas in the name of my family members, I gave them the gift of a child's life. The 2-five club is an amazing program, and our Boston Young is one of our contact persons.
This Christmas sit back and create lasting memories with family, friends, and take a moment to recognize the importance and signifance of this blessed season.
Merry Christmas and a very Happy and Blessed New Year!
Sincerely yours,
a.rose 2007
*Thanks for the thought Sarah! I love the Grinch!

0 comments: